Wednesday, February 11, 2015

My Grandfather's Hunting Bow….

I have great memories of my Grandfather.  Mostly of the times I spent with him in Bridgeton Maine on Long Lake.  We went boating and swimming in the summer, hiking in the spring and skiing and snowmobiling in the winter.

Many, many years ago, probably in the 1960's, he gave my brother his wooden hunting bow.


My brother brought it home, and he and his best friend went hunting for rabbits.  The friend told my brother that his father would "skin the rabbit" and they would cook it and eat it.  So, "a-hunting" they went.


They used the bow and successfully got a rabbit, brought it home to the friends' father, and he refused to "skin and cook it".  My brother was so upset that they had killed the rabbit for no reason that he put the bow in his closet and never used it again!


When I cleared out my father's home, the bow ended up at my home, and I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it.  I had no idea what to do with it.  


One day I looked over into my dining area and thought to myself "hmmm, I wonder what it would look like hanging over the window?"  It has beautiful inlaid wood, so I polished it and reached for the hammer and nails.


And that is where it is hung.


 Reminding me daily of my grandfather.
 And most importantly, my brother's compassion for animals.

Pin It
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

4 comments:

  1. Patti, that's a sweet story. I think you came up with the perfect spot to enjoy this family treasure. Fun to see more of your pretty house too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful piece! My husband is a hunter and would love it. Me, I'd use it as you did - to display in the house.

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just perfect in that spot, Patti! Such a great family piece to have out and on display, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now THAT is a great backstory for a wonderful show piece!!! That hunting bow has a history that you remember with fondness, and I'm sure it has been a wonderful conversation piece with visitors. I'm a true believer in incorporating things into your decor that tell a story, that are very personal, and that cause you to stop and remember "the good old days." Well done, Patti!

    ReplyDelete