Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Doug - The grounds keeper at MacKenzie-Childs….

The Mackenzie-Child  Company was created in 1983 and no one has ever been depicted on any of their products until the Aurora Pattern was recently created.

Doug, the grounds keeper, is the only person who has had that honor….


….and if you have ever seen the lovely grounds, gardens, pond and walkways, you will agree that he certainly deserved the praise.


He is easily identified on the Aurora platter and the creamer:


The lawns are lovely, plush and green, and appear to flow into the lake…


...but what you can't see is the 90 foot cliff that drops on the other side of the road!


The flowers are beginning to bloom...


…and the pond is surrounded by budding trees:


In 2 months this walkway will be filled with "barn sale" shoppers", anxiously waiting to find the perfect pieces to add to their collection!!

Because the town of Aurora is so small, the company does not announce the date of the Barn Sale until 2-3 weeks prior.  About 20,000 shoppers come to this sleepy village every year to attend the Barn Sale and many do not realize that there are only 3 restaurants in town, one Inn, 2 B&Bs an Art Gallery, a market and a clothing boutique.  There are also wineries in the area, most on the other side of Cayuga Lake.  

It is a lovely area to visit and if you have never attended, put it on your "bucket list"!!


Maybe you will get to meet Doug!



Pin It
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful place Patti. Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti, this is a great post, honoring Doug. He does an amazing job keeping this property in beautiful condition. I love that he is featured on the Aurora toile design. ;-)
    Don't need to tell you that the Barn Sale is on my bucket list, but it won't happen this year. Perhaps next year will be the year. Gotta experience it at least once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Patti, it's on my bucket list! I so want to meet Doug and go to the Barn Sale of barn sales!! Great post! I'm crazy about Mackenzie Child and Courtly Check is my all time favorite, but I love it all! It's glorious!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! You're the M-C Queen, if you ask me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll look for Doug! Usually I'm too busy shopping :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patti, The NYC store is an amazing place but I would love to go to Aurora and see the original location and those beautiful grounds! Someday I will get there and with a little bit of luck maybe I will be able to time my visit with the Barn Sale dates! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this amazing story!

    ReplyDelete